Ubisoft has just posted its quarterly financial report and cites strong sales of Assassin’s Creed III and Far Cry 3 as contributing factors to in increase profit margin over the last quarter for the financial year 2012/13.
- Sales for the third quarter of 2012-13 came to €802 million, up 23.0% (or 19.2% at constant exchange rates) compared with the €652 million recorded for the same period of 2011-12.
- For the first nine months of fiscal 2012-13, sales totaled €1,081 million versus €900 million in the corresponding prior-year period, representing an increase of 20.1%, or 12.9% at constant exchange rates.
- The third-quarter sales figure was above the upper end of the target range of between €740 million and €800 million issued when Ubisoft released its first-half 2012-13 results.
- An outstanding performance by the core gamer segment, driven by very high-quality games. Assassin’s Creed® 3 was a record-breaking success with more than 12 million sell-in and digitally distributed units, representing an almost 70% increase over Assassin’s Creed® Revelations.
- Far Cry® 3 was the highest-rated shooter game in 2012 for Xbox360 (with a Metacritic score of 90%), and delivered a much higher-than-expected performance, with already over 4.5 million sell-in and digitally distributed units.
- Very sharp growth for the Online segment, with sales jumping 143% to €55.2 million, led by digital distribution as well as DLC revenues which increased four-fold during the first nine months. Apple named Rayman® Jungle Run as the iPhone Game of the Year for 2012 and Trials Evolution is regularly cited as one of the overall best games of the year.
- The anticipated decrease of the Casual segment, which was largely offset by the above-described very strong growth for the core gamer and Online segments. Just Dance® 4 delivered a solid performance in comparison with the Wii and Kinect markets. With nearly 8 million sell-in units (representing a contained 16% decrease in value terms compared with Just Dance® 3) the title was regularly ranked among the best-selling games worldwide.